Most of us Love Summer. All the outdoor activities, the barbecue with friends and family, hikes, picnics, the celebrations and so much more we just love about summer. What nobody loves is the bugs, mosquito bites, flies, ticks etc.
If you want a more natural approach to bug repellent, bug bite creams, and bug spray then Essential Oils are a great option, whether you are new to essential oils or an avid user, you probably already have the essential oils you can use to deter summer pests.
Here are the best essential oils to keep bugs away naturally: Citronella, Clove, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus, Cedarwood, Rosemary, Melaleuca, Lavender, Peppermint, Basil, Geranium, Cinnamon, Lemon, Thyme, and Wild Orange.
Many of these essential oils work especially well for specific pests:
Mosquitos: Citronella, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Lemon, Basil, Clove, Thyme, Lemongrass, Geranium, Lavender.
Fleas: Cedarwood, Citronella, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca, Lemongrass, and Wild Orange.
Ticks: Geranium, Juniper Berry, Thyme, Grapefruit, and Oregano
Essential Oil Bug Repellent Spray
When making a bug repellent spray there are many oils that work extremely well together and can be used in different combinations.
- 4oz glass bottle
- 2 ounces distilled water or boiled water
- 1 1/2 ounces Witch Hazel
- 30 drops Citronella Essential Oil
- 25 drops Eucalyptus essential Oil
- 15 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Combine Witch Hazel, water, and all essential oils in the glass bottle. Place the spray top on the bottle and shake to combine all the oils.
- Shake gently before each use and spray liberally on all exposed skin to repel mosquitos and other insects.
Bug Bite Cream
You want to prevent bug bites from happening at all but if you happen to be a lucky one that mosquitos and other bugs are drawn to here is a simple DIY recipe to soothe itchy, inflamed skin.
- 1/3 cup Bentonite Clay
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- 3 Tablespoons Witch Hazel
- 7 drops Peppermint
- 7 drops Lavender
- 7 drops Melaleuca
- Small Glass Jar/s
- Add bentonite clay to medium size bowl.
- Add Essential Oils
- Add water a little at a time, mixing as you add. You most likely not use 1/2 cup, mix until you have a paste.
- Store in a glass jar.
- Apply cream to any bug bite or sting, let it dry on your skin. Re-apply as needed.
Bug Repellent Diffuser Blend
With such a variety of essential oils that are good to keep bugs away the possibilities are endless when it comes to diffuser blends. We will share a couple of our favorite blends but you can get creative.
Bye Bye Bugs
- 1 drop Lemongrass essential oil
- 1 drop Thyme essential oil
- 1 drop Citronella essential oil
- 1 drop Eucalyptus essential oil
- 2 drops Lemon essential oil
- 1 drop Peppermint essential oil
- 1 drop Basil essential oil